Otto Mation's blog
Our new site has many more book features! See the Books & Reading link under Special Interests to find:
* Our library catalog holdings
* Book Reviews Plus - Links to popular lists as well as feeds from the L.A. Times Book Reviews, Book Blog and New York Times Books
* Bestseller and Awards Lists - Over 60 lists of literary awards and best sellers
* Book of the Day - features a new title every day
* Staff Picks - Ventura County Library staff share some of their favorite titles
* Authors A to Z - Learn more about your favorite authors
At various spots on our site, you will see images of book covers. Clicking on the cover photo brings up either the list on which the book is featured or a summary/review page about the work. Both have a link so you may check our catalog to see if we own it and/or if it available for you to request.
We hope you find these features inspiring and enlightening. As always, let us know what you think.
[Photo credit: zerok - Creative Commons]
We've got more ways than ever for you to learn more about the folks who write the books you love! [Photo is of Amy Tan]
- Under Books & Reading > Authors A to Z, you can select an author and check our catalog to see what works of theirs we have available.
- In our eLibrary - our Biography Resource Center highlights biographical information on over 380,000 people, including many authors ... and our Literature Resource Center contains overviews of more than 130,000 writers in all disciplines.
- Discover a new favorite!
One of the consistent requests we have heard over the last week was that you liked being able to reach your library account with one click and had trouble finding it in the drop down under Library Catalog. So, we added the menu tab My Account next to the Library Catalog.
To make room, we moved the Site Map link down to the left side (under "Special Interests"). Hopefully, these changes make it easier for you to get where you want quickly.
Confused? Interested? Annoyed? Pleased? We hope you love the new website as you have the old - but we also realize change is painful. We are here to listen and to help you with the new site.
Please feel free to email our Web Librarian, at email@example.com. She wants to hear - not only what you love, but what you are struggling with, what you can't find and what you are confused by. We can't promise change for every problem, but you, our users, have the unique viewpoint we want to accomodate.
Here's an example: having trouble catching the "fly-outs" (those menu items that appear when you mouse over them)? You may want to bookmark our Site Map page as your home page. It is a page of static links to all parts of the webpage. See our FAQ page, in particular the Online Access FAQs for more information.
Let us know - we look forward to hearing from you!