We've been doing some additional testing with our new laser cutter and engraver, trying it out with various designs on a number of different materials. It's been a lot of fun!
So far we've tried everything we could get our hands on, including leather, stone, glass, and several types of wood—and we're still looking for more test materials.
We're very excited to be bringing this technology to the library as part of our makerspace. Remember to join us on September 30, 2014, at E.P. Foster Library for a demonstration of what the laser can do!
Attention local makers! On Tuesday, September 16, E.P. Foster Library will be hosting its second make.show.tell. event.
Stop by the Topping room at 7 p.m. to see what some local makers, builders, and craftspeople have been up to, and to learn more about how YOU might participate in the future!
If you're a maker with a skill or hobby you would like to share with others, come by any of our makerspace events or contact the library. We would love to help you share your talents!
The Ventura County Library recently acquired a laser engraver and cutter, and we’ve begun testing it to see what it’s capable of!
Our new laser cutter will ultimately be available as part of the Ventura County Library’s makerspace, along with our 3D printer and an assortment of other tools and materials. Stay tuned for more information!
|A small engineering company, LaunchPoint Technologies in Goleta, developing hybrid technology for aircraft with NASA used the Ventura County Library's 3D printer. They printed a part for preliminary fit testing of an 8-horsepower, 12-pound heavy fuel generator for airborne applications. The library's easy access to a 3D printer and willingness to help a LaunchPoint employee encouraged the success of their project.|
|Keep following our blog to learn more about the resources available at the Ventura County Library's makerspace. We've got big plans, and we would love for you to be a part of them!|
|It's your turn to learn how to use our 3D printer - part 2|
|Tuesday, July 15 7-9 p.m. E.P. Foster Topping Room, Ventura|
- Open Tech Night at make!
- 3D Printing, 3D Modeling, Microcontrollers and whatever you are working on.
- Tonight, Tuesday March 4, 2014 at 8:00 pm in the E.P. Foster Library Topping Room
- Presented by Ventura County Library, CAPS TV, Ventura Area Makers/Builders/Hackers
Rescheduled to TONIGHT! 3D Printing: Modeling Software Comparison
- A review of TinkerCad which we covered last month
- A look at OpenSCAD and Blender to help you find the development program that fits your idea
- Computers will be available to try out some of the software
- Bring a thumbdrive in case you start something you want to take with you!
The presentation will take roughly 30-40 min. with the remaining time open for projects -- why not tell a friend and share this?
Part of make! Tuesday Night Pop-Up Maker Space
A brief overview of 3D printing and then a closer look at what is required to take your idea and convert it into a real 3D object. A look at different software available for all the steps involved.
- Computers will be available to try out some of the software.
- Bring a thumb drive in case you start something you want to take with you.
- The presentation will take roughly 30-40 minutes with the remaining time open for projects!