606 North Ventura Avenue, Ventura, CA 93001
Sara Roberts, Library Supervisor
Monday 11 - 1, 2 - 6
Tuesday 2 - 6
Wednesday 12 - 6
Thursday 2 - 6
Saturday 10 - 3
Friday & Sunday Closed
- Avenue Library is located at 606 North Ventura Avenue. The nearest cross street is Simpson Street. From the Ojai Valley, exit the 33 freeway at Stanley and go right. From downtown Ventura, go north on Ventura Avenue. View map.
- Closest bus stop is Ventura Avenue and Ramona or Center.
Programs & Special Events - Ventura Libraries' Event Calendar
- Homework Centers are available in most Ventura County Libraries. Click here to see locations and times open.
- Special children's programs are scheduled in the Fall and Spring of each year. Check with library for program dates and information.
- Homework Center operates Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday 3:30 - 5:30 p.m. The Center has two computers for Internet access.
- Want to know how to get a library card, borrow a book and more? See our FAQ page.
- Access the library catalog from home.
- Library staff will answer your research questions.
- If a book you want is not available at your local library, it can be be ordered from other libraries.
- Telephone questions will be answered during open hours. Call (805) 643-6393.
- Six (1hr) computers are available for public Internet use. Two computers are filtered for use by customers under 18. Three computers are unfiltered for use by adults. One adult Express computer is available for 15 min.
- A Programs & Special Events self-serve copy machine is available. Copies are ten cents each.
- Meeting Room Rental - A small public meeting room is available for $10.00 per use. The room has 16 chairs, a projection screen and room darkening shades. Call 643-6393 to schedule.
- Book Drop: the book drop is located at the corner of Simpson and Ventura Ave.
- The San Buenaventura Friends of the Library need volunteers to help with used book sales, courier service for shut-ins, sponsorship of children's programs, and rental book and video programs.
- The Friends of the Library are conducting a membership drive. Your membership dues enrich the community's libraries by supplementing books, programs, and capital improvements. Your support stays in the Ventura community.
- San Buenaventura Friends of the Library
PO Box 403
Ventura, CA 93002-0403
- Volunteers are needed for Adult Literacy Program. For more information click here.
- Two weeks of the Ventura County Star newspaper is kept at the Avenue Library (the current week and the week prior.)
- Avenue Library has a large collection of children's books.
- The Library has magazines, books on tape, and videos.
The Avenue Library began life in January 1948 as the “West End Branch” occupying half of a garage located on River Street. Although only open for six hours a week the library became a favorite meeting place especially for children in the area. Moved to 696 N. Ventura Avenue and again in 1964 to 807 N. Ventura Ave., expanding the library’s space, hours and collection.
In the mid 1990’s budget cuts spelled the end of a branch library on the west end. A huge outpouring of community support and a federal block grant came to the rescue and the library opened at its present location in the completely renovated historic Casa de Anza building on the corner of Simpson and Ventura Ave.
An eight panel mural depicting the history of west Ventura was commissioned and completed by artist Cathy Day in 2000. The mural is a colorful visual history which adorns the upper walls of the library and depicts the Chumash people, mission influence, agriculture, oil, business and cultural influences that have contributed to the area.
Today, Avenue Library serves a continually growing population with computer access, children’s programs, and a full collection of materials in both English and Spanish for adults and children.
- City of Ventura
- County of Ventura
- Ventura Unified School District
- E. P. Foster Elementary School
- Buena High School
- El Camino High School
- Foothill Technology High School
- Ventura High School
- Ventura College
- Ventura County Genealogical Society Home Page and Genealogical Library