111 East Ojai Avenue, Ojai, CA 93023
Mon - Thurs 10 - 8
Fri - Sun 12 - 5
|Ojai Scribes' Blog|
Programs & Special Events - Ojai Valley Library Event Calendar
July 11, 1:00 P.M.
Every Mon & Fri 2 pm
Rythms of the World
July 21, 6:30 P.M.
|Workshop for TEENs
July 18 & 25, 10-11:30 A.M.
|Kona Ice Cream Party
SRP Participants Please RSVP
August 7, 3:30 P.M.
|Teens Teach Tech.
2nd Saturday of
the month, 1-3 pm
First Wednesday of
each month 7:30pm
Tuesdays, 10 A.M
| Knitting and
Click here to see all
homework centers hours.
| Writer's Workshop
5:30 to 8 pm
Ojai Library is located at 111 East Ojai Avenue. View map.
- Learn how to get a library card, borrow a book and more: see our FAQ page.
- Access the library catalog from home.
- Library staff will answer your research questions.
- If a book you want is not available at your local library, it can be be ordered from other libraries.
- Telephone questions will be answered during open hours. Call (805) 646-1639.
- Eight Internet computers are available for public use. Computers are filtered for use by customers under 18.
- A self-serve copy machine and microfilm/microfiche reader/printer are available. Copies are ten cents each.
- Book Drops: there are two book drops, one at the curb and one closer to the library.
- Ojai Valley Library Friends and Foundation: The OVLFF is a non-profit organization dedicated to extending and enhancing public library services throughout the Ojai Valley. OVLFF operates the Twice-Sold Tales Bookstore near the Ojai Library, sponsors children's and adult programs, provides a courier service for shut-ins, holds a yearly used book sale, and sponsors the SchooLinks homework centers at Ojai, Meiners Oaks, and Oak View Libraries.
OVLFF seeks to build public-private partnerships to expand opportunities for lifelong learning and personal enrichment. Board meetings are held the fourth Tuesday of the month, 7 pm, at the Ojai Library. For additional information, call (805) 289-0368 or visit the Friends page.
- "Twice-Sold Tales" Bookstore at 122 E. Ojai Ave.Hours are 12 noon to 5 pm seven days a week
- Volunteers are needed (call the Library for more information) to assist in the Homework Center
- Volunteers are needed for the Adult Literacy Program. For more information click here.
- Ojai Library keeps one week of the Ventura County Star, the Los Angeles Times, and two weeks of the Wall Street Journal. The Ojai Valley News is archived on microfilm from 1891 to the present.
- In addition to the book, magazine and newspaper collections, the Library has music CDs, DVDs, puppets and audiobooks.
The George Thacher Memorial Library was opened in August of 1893 on Montgomery Street. In April of 1928 the library was moved to the building at the present location of 111 E. Ojai Ave. The building of 2,357 square feet was designed in the mission style by architect Carleton Winslow. The grounds were landscaped by the Ojai Valley Garden Club.
The library became the Ojai branch of the Ventura County Free Library in March of 1958. Max, an orange tabby moved into the library in 1976. His night time home was the bookdrop outside the library.
Proposition 13 was passed in 1978 which seriously diminished library funding. The Ojai Valley Friends of the Library was formed to raise money for the 3 libraries in Ojai Valley.
In June of 1981, an addition was completed that doubled the size of the building and the original building was renovated. The grounds were renovated also, once again, by the Ojai Valley Garden Club.
In 2009, work began to add a meeting room to the Ojai Library. Architectural plans by Jon Dieges have been completed, construction should begin soon. Update: 5/2015 we are looking forward to ground breaking any day now.
- Links to Ojai Non-profit Organizations and Services
- City of Ojai
- Steve Bennett, Supervisor, County of Ventura
- County of Ventura
- Ojai Valley News
- Ventura College
- Ventura County Genealogical Society Home Page and Genealogical Library
- The Peace Chair Project
- Ojai Post
- Arts Ojai