Ray D. Prueter Library
|Ray D. Prueter Library
510 Park Avenue, Port Hueneme, CA 93041
Monday 10 - 7
Tues & Wed 10 - 6
Thurs - Sat 12-5
- The Ray D. Prueter Library is located at 510 Park Avenue, one block east of Ventura Road. View map.
- Closest bus stop is Ventura Road near Pleasant Valley Road (in front of the Port City Plaza.)
Events for adults and children
- Read to a Dog happens once a month. Next chance Wednesday,
April 8 at 3pm.
- Come celebrate Spring with Bunnies! Saturday, April 11 at 1 pm.
- Beginning Ukulele class with Alan Ferentz, to be announced.
Programs & Events for Youth - Ray D. Prueter Library Event Calendar
- Storytimes for children ages 0-5 are held Mondays @ 5:30pm and Tuesdays & Wednesdays @ 10:30am
- Rosenbluth Family Homework Center is open to children in grades K-12. Tutors and computers are available for homework help. Hours are:
- 3:00 - 5:30 Monday & Tuesday
- 2:30 - 5:30 Wednesday
- 3:00 - 5:00 Thursday
- Closed during school breaks
- Teen Advisory Group, comprised of teens ages 13-17, will assist with planning services and events for teens at the library. Want to join? Please contact the Youth Librarian at 486-5460.
Many thanks to the Friends of the Port Hueneme Library for sponsoring all the youth events at the Ray D. Prueter Library.
Programs & Events for Adults - Ray D. Prueter Library Event Calendar
- Senior Morning Hands-On Computing - Computer assistance for baby boomers and beyond every Monday from 10am to 12pm.
- Adult Mystery Book Discussion Group - meets the second Thursday of each month at 2pm, from January through September. Discussion group closed.
- Adult Contemporary Book Discussion Group - meets the fourth Thursday of each month at 2pm, from January through September. Discussion group closed.
- Computer Classes - Online form to set up a time for computer help.
- Looking for more events? See our system-wide calendar
Many thanks to the Friends of the Port Hueneme Library for sponsorship of the programs for adults offered at the Ray D. Prueter Library.
- Want to know how to get a library card, borrow a book, and more? See our FAQ page.
- Access the library catalog from home.
- Library staff will answer your research questions.
- If a book, DVD, or audio book you want is not available, it can be be ordered and delivered from other Ventura County libraries for you to pick up at the Ray D. Prueter Library.
- Telephone questions will be answered during open hours. Call (805) 486-5460.
- Twelve computers are available for public Internet use. Computers are filtered for use by customers under 18.
- One self-serve copy machine is available. Copies are ten cents each.
- Need help finding Accelerated Reader books? Use AR BookFinder to find out which books are at your child's AR level as well as their point values.
- Book Drops: There are two book drops located in front of the library at the curb.
- Please place DVDs, CDs and cassettes in a bag so they do not scatter if the case opens.
Follow the Friends of Port Hueneme Library on Facebook!
- The Friends of the Port Hueneme Library support and benefit the Library. The Friends sponsor used book sales and special programs. Contact the City Librarian for more information on becoming a member, "Like" them on Facebook or visit the Friends page.
- Volunteers are needed for the Adult Literacy Program. For more information click here.
- The Rosenbluth Family Homework Center is looking for after-school volunteers or tutors. Help those students who need a little extra help to complete their homework. For more information contact Bernadette McDowell.
- The Ray D. Prueter Library has items in English and Spanish, including books, magazines, books on tape and CD, music CDs, videos and DVDs.
- The Ventura County Star, the Los Angeles Times and the Wall Street Journal are kept for one year. Local newspapers on microfilm include the Port Hueneme Harbor Bulletin (1938-41), Port Hueneme Herald (1941-42), Port Hueneme Herald Express (1941-51), and Port Hueneme Pilot (1951-63). The Hueneme Pilot (2008-09) is available in paper.
- For 24-hour access to newspapers, magazine articles, electronic books, audio-book downloads, test preparation guides, and many more information databases, please use the Ventura County Library's online eLibrary. A link to the eLibrary is available within the gray bar near the top of every library webpage. A library card number will be required to access to these resources if you are using an internet connection outside of the library, such as from home, school, or work.
Please see the City of Port Hueneme's library page.
- County of Ventura
- Hueneme School District
- Hueneme High School
- Ventura County Genealogical Society Home Page and Genealogical Library