San Buenaventura Mission
Mission San Buenaventura is a Spanish mission founded in 1782 by the Franciscan order in present-day Ventura, California. It was the ninth and final Spanish mission established in California by Father Junípero Serra. Named for Saint Bonaventure, the mission is the namesake of the city of Ventura (officially "San Buenaventura") and Ventura County.
In 1793, the first church burned down. In 1893, Father Cyprian Rubio "modernized" the interior of the church, painting over the original artwork; when he finished, almost nothing remained of the old church. New priests restored the church to its original style in 1957. Today all that remains of the original Mission is the church and its garden. Services are still held in the parish church. A small museum sits at the Mission with displays of Chumash Indian artifacts and mission-era items.
Resident Photographer - Aleta Rodriguez