Literacy Fair - October 6th at Prueter Library
The Literacy Fair takes place on Sunday, October 6 from 10am – 2pm at the Ray D. Prueter Library. Admission is FREE! The theme: “I Wish I Could Read… Come… Take-a-Walk in My Shoes!” offers educational fun for the whole family:
* Meet the PAWS for Reading dogs
* Listen to a story read by the VCL Story Fairy
* Talk to a real Firefighter and learn about fire trucks
* Get emergency preparedness information from the Red Cross
* Snack at some of Ventura County’s favorite Food Trucks
* Check out our opportunity drawing baskets
The purpose of the “I Wish I Could Read…Come…Take-a-Walk in My Shoes!” event is to increase community awareness of literacy problems and what is being done to help adults with limited reading skills. The event will also raise money to purchase educational materials for the READ program.
READ - Ventura County Library’s Adult Literacy Program is a department of the Ventura County Library System and has been providing free reading instruction in libraries and correctional facilities since 1984. Generally, between 150 – 250 adult students benefit each year from the instruction provided by READ’s volunteer tutors. Sixty-five percent of these adults were born and educated in the United States, but experienced limited success in reading because their learning disabilities make learning in a traditional classroom very difficult.