Walk up holds pick up, phone service, and book drops are available!
Book drops are open 24/7 (except Kimball Park); Library hours for holds pick up and phone service:
- Avenue Library, 1-6 pm, Monday through Thursday and 10am - 3pm Saturday
- E.P. Foster Library, 1-6 pm, Monday through Friday and 10am - 3pm Saturday
- Fillmore Library, 1-6 pm, Monday through Thursday and 10am - 3pm Saturday
- Hill Road Library, 1-6 pm, Monday through Thursday and 10am - 3pm Saturday
- Meiners Oaks Library, 1-6 pm, Monday through Thursday
- Oak Park Library, 1-6 pm, Monday through Thursday and 10am - 3pm Saturday
- Oak View Library, 1-6 pm, Monday through Thursday
- Ojai Library, 1-6 pm, Monday through Friday and 10am - 3pm Saturday
- Piru Library, 1-6 pm, Monday through Thursday
- Ray D. Prueter Library (Port Hueneme), 1-6 pm, Monday through Friday and 10am - 3pm Saturday
- Saticoy Library, 1-6 pm, Monday through Thursday
- Soliz (El Rio) Library, 1-6 pm, Monday through Friday
==> Census Computer Access Click this link for information)
Walk up holds pick up of Materials Guidelines and FAQs
Ventura County Library buildings remain closed to the public but in addition to providing patrons with access to online resources, the library is committed to offering safe access to books and other library materials through a limited contactless pick up service.
California Department of Public Health guidelines for retail curbside pick up gives libraries the ability to begin offering this direct service to people in a safe manner. Library patrons are able to pick up library books and items they request in advance, within various limits.
Do not use this service if you feel unwell, or if any member of your household is sick or in isolation.
Follow these simple steps to pick up materials at participating locations:
1. Place items on hold
Search the library’s online catalog at www.vencolibrary.org or call the library during open hours of operation to place holds on the item(s) you want.
- There is a temporary limit of 10 holds per library card. If you currently have more than 10 holds on your card, please call the library to speak to a staff person.
- Hold pick up may only be available at some library branches.
- If you had holds that were available before the library closed at a library that is not a pick up location, call the library to make arrangements.
- You will receive a notification (by email or U.S. mail depending on your account preference) letting you know when holds are ready for pick up. To update your preference, please call the library. You have 14 (fourteen) days to pick up your items. If they are not picked up within 14 days, they will be removed from your account and returned to the shelves so someone else can borrow them.
- Due to limited staff and delivery services, wait times may be longer than usual.
2. Pick up your items
- Signs will be available to guide you during the walk up holds pick up process. You may also call the library before coming for instructions and information.
- If someone else is picking up an order when you arrive, please wait at a distance of 6 feet.
- Have your library card barcode number available.
- All items will be checked out ahead of time.
- Pick up your materials and enjoy!
3. Return your items
- Due dates for all items have been extended to six weeks. No overdue fines will be assessed.
- You may return your items to any branch listed above for walk up holds. Use the outdoor book drop only. Book drops are open 24/7 for your convenience. Please do not set materials on or next to book drops.
- After return to a book drop, all library items will go through a 96 hour quarantine before they are checked in and taken off your record. No fines will be accrued during this quarantine.
- Donations are not being accepted at this time. Use book drops for library returns only.
Walk up holds pick up FAQs
What if I don’t know my PIN?
Call the library. We will ask for your library card number and some other questions to confirm your identity and then reset your PIN to whatever 4-digit number you want.
Can I order items if I don’t have a library card?
You must have a Ventura County Library Card to borrow materials. You can get a temporary card number to checkout eBooks by registering online in our catalog. You may also call the library to receive a print library card and place holds in some cases. Please call the library for more information.
How many items can I, or my family, borrow?
You can request up to 10 items per library card. We encourage you to designate one person per household to pick up material for everyone in that household. For example, if 2 adults and 3 children all order material on their library cards, only 1 adult comes to the library to pick up the 5 bags of material.
Can I ask someone else to pick up my items?
You can have a family member, friend or neighbor pick up your material, but they should be ready to provide your library card number upon pick up.
How long will it take before I can pick up my order?
You will be notified when your items are ready for pick up. This generally takes more than 24 hours. We will try to fill your order as quickly as possible, but it may take a few days depending on how many people use this service. Also, it takes time for staff to gather, checkout, and pack your items.
How long can I borrow the items?
The items will be checked out for 6 weeks (42 days). 3 (three) renewals are allowed unless someone else has placed a request. No fines will accrue during this time.
I have fines/charges on my account. Can I use this service?
You don’t have to pay any outstanding fines before using this service while the library remains closed. However, fines can always be paid online via your library account on the library website at www.vencolibrary.org .
What happens when I pick up the material?
If no one is in front of you when you arrive, come up to the table at the door and show or tell staff your library card or a piece of identification so we know which materials belong to you. Step back to the “Wait Here” marker. Staff will open the door and place your materials on the table. Once the door has closed, step up to the table to retrieve your material. After you leave, staff will wipe down the table before serving the next person. Staff have been instructed to maintain social distancing of 6 feet at all times. Please don’t take it personally.
Can I return my items?
Yes, once walk up holds pick up is available at a location, the book drop is open at that location as well. Staff may not accept returns in person, with the exception of WIFI hotspots. Safety protocols require that returned items are quarantined for 96 hours before they are checked in and taken off your account.
What happens if I forget and don’t pick up my items?
You have 14 (fourteen) days to pick up your items. If they are not picked up within 14 days, they will be removed from your account and returned to the shelves so someone else can borrow them.
What is currently available "virtually":
- eBooks and eAudiobooks
- Online resources in the eLibrary
- Streaming music in Hoopla
- Storytimes on our YouTube channel
- Facebook Live storytimes
All regularly scheduled in-house events and programs continue to be canceled. Please see our calendar for virtual events.
Ventura County Library is in constant communication with other departments, local officials, and health authorities. Stay updated on the latest regional developments of COVID-19 at https://www.vcemergency.com.