Now Recruiting AmeriCorps Learning Coach
Ventura County Library's READ Adult Literacy program seeks applicants for two full-time AmeriCorps tutoring positions at the Ventura County Juvenile Justice Facility, a secure 45-acre complex located at 4333 Vineyard Avenue, Oxnard, CA 93036.
In collaboration with Ventura County Probation Agency, tutors help incarcerated individuals (ages 18 to 25) improve reading and writing skills and find academic success in the innovative Providence Scholars educational program.
Apply today by emailing READ@ventura.org.
- Work one-on-one with incarcerated individuals in a secure and well-supervised space inside the facility to provide mentoring and tutoring according to the individual's specific needs.
- Get trained by the Library's READ program on principles of adult basic education and literacy—topics range from reading/writing skills to college-level courses.
- Use materials and supplies provided by the Library and Probation Agency, such as weekly teaching guides and other resources, to support short and long-term educational goals.
- Report to the Library's READ program site supervisor and on-site staff to collect and record data regarding attendance and progress.
- Build extensive professional development and real-world experience.
- A living allowance of $980 is paid twice a month for a total of $25,500 per year.
- Health benefits are available, along with childcare benefits, to qualified AmeriCorps members.
- $10,000 educational awards upon successful completion of the one-year commitment.
- Must be eligible to be an AmeriCorps member—discover how to become a member here.
- Must be able to serve a minimum of 1,700 total hours during a one-year commitment beginning in October 2022.
- Must comply and pass the National Service Criminal History Check and other requirements of the Ventura County Juvenile Probation Agency.
Call us to enroll an adult learner (805) 677-7160.
Visit VolunteerMatch for complete position descriptions:
- Adult Literacy Tutor - Ventura County Library Locations
- English Language Learner (ELL) Tutor - Ventura County Library Locations
- Adult Literacy Tutor - Simi Valley Public Library
- Learning Coach - Juvenile Justice Center
To help adults improve their reading and writing skills so that they perceive a positive impact on their lives in such areas as self-esteem, employment, family life, and community involvement.