Need to connect?
Need to connect but don't have the equipment? Here's your answer.
Find more information at our VC Connects website
Our Computer Kits consist of a Chromebook, hotspot, and charging cables, all in a carrying case. They check out to adults 18 and older for 4 weeks and may be automatically renewed up to 2 times if not requested by another customer. Kits must be returned to library staff; do not return to a book drop!
Please be sure to review the contents, guidelines, directions, and policies below.
- A Chromebook with power cord
- A hotspot
- A USB charging cable and power adapter
- Canvas bag
- Complimentary headset
- Computer Kits may only be checked out to those 18 years of age or older.
- Only one Computer Kit per person can be checked out at a time.
- The loan period for Computer Kits is four (4) weeks and may be automatically renewed up to 2 times if not requested by another customer.
- All equipment must be returned in the same condition as when it was borrowed. Users may not add or remove apps, download any programs, or change the configuration of the Chromebook in any way.
- Computer Kits must be returned to library staff during open hours. Book drop returns are NOT allowed and will result in a $25 penalty fee.
- After 5 days, the device will be considered lost.
- Hotspots will be deactivated once they become overdue.
- If the device or any accompanying items are lost, stolen, or damaged, the borrower will be responsible for replacement costs up to $835.50.
- The Ventura County Library is not responsible for any loss or damage to patrons’ data or media due to hardware, software, electrical surge or failure, or any other cause while the patron is using library computer equipment.
- It is the user’s responsibility to save data in the case of battery failure.
Software and staff assistance
- Staff will assist with basic computer usage questions but are not available for extensive training. Users are expected to have a working knowledge of computers and programs.
- No data may be saved to the hard drive of any library laptop. Documents saved to the hard drives of library computers will be automatically be deleted when the computer is shut down or returned.
Directions for Use
- Connect the device to WiFi (either hotspot or any other WiFi)
- Select Browse as Guest in bottom left corner of Chromebook
[patrons will ALWAYS use Browse as Guest]
- A Chrome browser will notify you’re Browsing as a Guest
- Pages you view in this window won’t appear in the browser history and won’t leave other traces, like cookies, on the computer after you sign out
- Files you download and bookmarks you create won’t be preserved
Laptop and Internet Use policies
- The library reserves the right to restrict or terminate computer use privileges of any patron who is misusing or abusing library equipment or not acting in accordance with library policy. The library reserves the right to update and change this policy at any time without notice. It is the responsibility of the user to read and accept the current version of the policy
- Patrons using a Computer Kit agrees to abide by the Ventura County Library - Computer, Internet, and Wireless access policy