To jump directly to a section, click on that item:
- Online reading programs
- Adult Literacy READ Program
- Reading recommendations
- Book clubs and discussion groups
- One County, One Book community program
- How to use the library's online catalog (video tutorials)
- Downloadable Digital Books
- Genealogy Resources
- Veterans Resource Center
Kids, teens, and adults! Log your reading for a chance to earn prizes, complete missions, and play educational games.
Register as an individual or create a family account on our Reading Challenge website.
- Follow our VCL blog The Generous Reader and VCL's Instagram feed for staff picks, hidden gems, and topical reading suggestions.
- The web article Browsing the Library Shelves - Virtually discusses two ways to use the library catalog as a virtual browsing tool.
- Novelist Plus - This online service helps readers discover fiction and nonfiction titles by using previous books read and topics that interest them as criteria for locating new books. Contains author read alikes, book discussion guides, reviews, and award/genre/topical lists. Login using your library card number as your Patron ID.
- View lists of recently acquired items in the Library Collections section on the front page of the Ventura County Library online catalog.
- Award winner lists: National Book Awards for American Literature | National Book Critics Circle Award | Edgar Awards for Mystery Writing | Nebula Awards for Science Fiction | ALA Youth Media Awards | Booker Prize (UK & Ireland)
Book Clubs and Discussion Groups
- The Hill Road Library Book Club meets virtually via Zoom on a monthly basis. Contact email@example.com for more information.
- Check out the The Oak View Library Reading Society page for information and a title list of previous years' selections.
- Interested in borrowing a book set for your own book club? Book club kits check out for six weeks and contain 10 copies of the same title, as well as a reader's guide. A list of book club kits is available in the library catalog here. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or for additional information.
One County, One Book Community Reading Program
- 2020 selection, including links to a talk with the author, companion reading lists, and related history presentations.
- Past titles
How to Use the Library's Online Catalog
We have several videos like the one below, aimed at assisting you in finding the specific item you want. Please see Ventura County Library's YouTube eLibrary Tutorials playlist for more video tutorials.